Monday 4 May 2020

Next Year, Ice Cream?

Background
1. My Uncle Avi died last year
2. It broke my heart
3. It broke a lot of other people's hearts too, read about him here
4. He put the date on everything. If he gave you a lamp, you could turn it upside down and find it dated.
4. May 3rd was his birthday

Art
1. I am marginally obsessed with the work of greatly admire contemporary artist and writer Austin Kleon
2. Austin Kleon and I were both interviewed on the same podcast (him) (me) which makes us practically cousins
3. Austin Kleon has a complex system for keeping notebooks that he is always going on about and I have notebook issues too so this is one of the reasons I have tattooed his face on my wrist I love his work.

Also
A friend of mine posted a few months ago that on her (late) mother's birthday she drinks her mother's favourite drink and gets her mother's favourite lottery scratch off tickets in memory of her mom on that day

Which Got Me Thinking
1. That we should do something like that for Uncle Avi, which would include either eating breakfast for dinner (his favourite meal) or having ice cream (same) or being philanthropic and doing an act of kindness (see link in Background above).
2. However this was just a thought in my head and I did nothing to make it happen.

Back to Kleon
1.  Kleon has a few shticks and one of them is that he uses an old fashioned date stamp with an ink pad on all his pages, post-it notes, journal entries, etc
2. It looks great, very neat, very retro-library

Amazon
1. The date stamp and ink pad are dirt cheap but when I put them in my cart, it turns out that they are "add-on" items. In other words I have to order something else to get them sent to me
2. Add them to cart and wait for next time I want something

Also Amazon
1. Meaning to read friend of mine's husband's book so I add it to my cart
2. Get an email from amazon saying that the date stamp and ink pad have shipped without the book
3. Why would you make something an "add-on" to save shipping and then not ship it together.

Sunday May 3rd
1. The date stamp and ink pad arrived on Uncle Avi's birthday.
2. Unexpected opportunity to celebrate him and something he really cared about.


2 comments: