Monday 13 January 2020

Out On A Limb: Part One

December 2018
Write first ever book review for Hippocampus Magazine and submit approx 12 hours before piece is due. 
Turn off computer and take first ever digital/screen/social media break with no access to email or text for a week.

January 2019
Return to world of screens to discover multiple emails/messages saying that file was never received or was impossible to open.

Deadline missed.

Heart sinks.

File then re-covered and re-sent, posted in Jan 2019 issue.

Problem solved.

Yet: left with lingering sense that have taken fantastic opportunity (book reviewer for a lit mag) and ruined it for myself, reputation will be forever destroyed and all future book reviews will be read through the lens of skepticism because personal credibility is now very much in question.

Realistically: no one cares.

Summer 2019
Receive another book for book review for Hippocampus Magazine and it's called: "The Uncomfortable Confessions of a Preacher's Kid."
Problem/Concern: I'm Jewish. Very Jewish. How will I relate to this book.
On the Other Hand: That's why we/I read memoir. Obsessed Interesting to learn about other lives and walk in other shoes preferably shiny new sneakers.

Fall 2019
Do nothing about this upcoming project. However  leaving something to marinate in the back of your mind is not exactly the same as doing nothing because sometimes it takes (me) a while to come up with a solution/idea.

December 2019
Read book. Have idea for review but know that it's a bit out there. Instead of straight book review will write it in Evangelical prayer form. Our Father, etc.

Write review.

Send it in weeks ahead of deadline.

Put in cover letter: I went out on a limb with this one. Please let me know if it's too much and I will write more normal version.

Also put in cover letter: I will be going screen-free for a week so I'm cc'ing my Husband here. Please let him know if there are any problems/issues/concerns re file so that we don't have a repeat performance of what happened last year even though I'm sure you don't remember but I am still recuperating  and he will let me know.

December 2019
Response from Hippo: Got review. All good. Happy New Year.

January 2020
Hippocampus Magazine comes out.
Book review is not in it.

Possible Explanations:
1. Everyone remembers what happened last year and decided that if I'm going to be presumptuous and take screen breaks without being sure that my file was opened then I get what I deserve 
2. Once my review was opened and read, it was deemed too horrible to even send a rejection letter and so someone else was assigned the book to do a more normal review
3. Someone was offended about the Jewish/Evangelical thing and no one knows how to talk to me about it.


What Really Happened:
Come back tomorrow and I'll tell you the rest of the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment