Tuesday 15 October 2019

How to Get a Complete Refund

Daughter T playing in basketball tournament in Atlanta.
I am in France.
Basketball television network (not its real name) offers several subscription models all of which have free cancellation.
I take the $9.95 weekly figuring I will cancel after a week.
Sit on beautiful rattan bench in courtyard and watch games on my iPad marveling at the miracles that got me here, her there, and me able to see her play.
Cancel subscription.
Wake up the next morning thinking I don't trust these people 100% and log back onto site, go on to chat help desk and ask for confirmation that I correctly cancelled subscription.
Chat help desk person KAW says I have cancelled your subscription for you.
I have a weird feeling about this so I keep the email with the chat script.
Two and a half months elapse during which time I miss the repeated charges and pay the bill anyway have gone through my credit card statement with a fine tooth comb but somehow miss this repeated charge.
Get an email from Basketball television network about how much they miss me, how they notice I haven't logged on in a while and how they hope I'm OK.
Which is very thoughtful of them.
But.
I thought I already cancelled this subscription. And $9.95 weekly is not a negligible amount of money.
Log back on to site and click on chat help desk.
Tell LBJ that I cancelled subscription on July 30th at 3:56pm.
LBJ says. I'm really sorry about that. Let me refund you completely and right now. Email confirmations will be sent to you immediately and expect a credit on your card within the next few days.

Lessons Learned
1. If you cancel a subscription, you still may get charged for it so be careful.
2. If your credit card gets charged incorrectly and you inadvertently pay the bill, you can still go back and get a refund.
3. If the only way to communicate with this website is over chat, don't despair, you may still be able to get what you want.
4. If your daughter tells you that under no circumstances does she want you to watch her game, and you go all the way to France to feign nonchalance, Basketball television network will help you outsmart even the wiliest teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment