Monday 8 July 2019

Speech I Gave A Few Weeks Ago When I Had One Minute and Fifty Eight Seconds to Summarize My Upcoming Book

I flew in this morning from Montreal and I have a work deadline tomorrow. I'm the Ombudsman at a University which means I investigate complaints and I have a report due in the morning.
I get on the plane. Ready to work. And the woman in front of me reclines her seat allll the way back. My elbows are up to here. My knees are in my throat. There is no way I can type.
So what do I do now? Do I tell this woman she's in my way? Or is that too pushy?
I'm at a loss for words, which is rare for me. I'm smart. I went to Brandeis. I have a Master's Degree. But you know. No matter how much education any of us has - sometimes we can be unprepared for difficult conversations.
I look around the plane and I see seats completely reclined on my left and on my right. And I know what everyone is thinking.
They are wishing that they had a book they could turn to in these situations. A book that would outline how to ask people to move their seats up but do so in a way that doesn't make anyone uncomfortable.
Ladies and Gentlemen, Good News. I have written that book. "I WANTED FRIES WITH THAT: How to Ask for What You Want and Get What You Need" is about how to speak your mind. I wrote it so that each and every one of us - especially us Jews - will learn how to stand up for ourselves in a calm and peaceful way but assertively so that we can get what we want. If we keep quiet, nothing will ever change. If we speak up, we can change the world. I rote this book because I fundamentally believe that kvetching is the path to Tikkun Olam.
I exaggerated a little bit before. The airplane story isn't from this morning. It's a chapter in my book, and well, do you want to know what happened in the end? (Pause)
Invite me to come speak and I'll tell you the whole story.
I'm Amy Fish, and my books is called "I WANTED FRIES WITH THAT: How to Ask for What You Want and Get What You Need."


No comments:

Post a Comment