Monday 25 March 2019

Like Thanksgiving. But Green.

My grandmother Freda was born on March 17 1912. She had three kids, one of whom was born on March 17 1950, Maxwell Rubin, also known as my Uncle Mattie.

As you can imagine. St. Patrick's Day was celebrated religiously by my mother's family. We got together in our best green shirts, and green necklaces. We drank from green cups, sang Happy Birthday and wished each other a Happy St. Patrick's Day. We didn't always celebrate Passover together. We may not have made it to Yom Kippur. But g-d dam it, St. Patrick's Day was written in blarney stone.

I was 25 years old when someone told me St. Patrick's Day was about drinking beer. Until then I thought it was for families. Like Thanksgiving. But Green.

It is now 2005 and I am pregnant with my third. She is due mid-April and I have a C-section scheduled for April 3.

March 17 I wake up in the morning and I am not feeling 100%. I speak to my friend D who is living in Ireland and about to go to the St. Patrick's Day Parade which as you can imagine is huge over there.

Maybe you'll have the baby today she says.

Haha. I say. What are the chances. That would be the third St. Patrick's Day baby in my family. Maybe I should name her Clover. It will never happen.

Eight hours later, I am holding my baby girl, Liberty Esther, born on March 17, 2005.

St. Patrick's Day continues its reign as number one holiday for my mother's side. Family dinner. Birthday cake. Green socks, green hoodies, celebratory Old Navy T-shirts. Remember. We are Jews. Trace our roots to Eastern Europe. There is not a drop of Irish blood anywhere.

Now. My Uncle Mattie's daughter Alex is pregnant with her third. The baby is due March 13th.

Wouldn't it be great if it was born on March 17th she texts me.

OMG YES. I write back.

What are the chances though. Third baby coming late? I don't think so.

It is March 16 2019. Alex is in the hospital having her baby.

Kind of feeling like it would've been better if baby could hold out another few hours but at the same time we want them both healthy and happy.

Oh wait.

Not so fast.

It is March 17, 2019.

Baby did hold out.

Welcome to the club Felix James. Can't wait to meet you.


No comments:

Post a Comment