Saturday 27 August 2016

Going: Part 2 of 2

Cancellation fee is $75?

That's correct.

Is there any room for negotiation here?

Yes Ma'am (patiently). The negotiation is from $300, the regular fee that you SHOULD be charged, to $75, what they are WILLING to charge you.

Even though it's the hotel's error?

I'm looking at this Ma'am, and I don't see any error.

Well. I called to cancel my reservation. To me, that meant all the hotel rooms associated with that reservation. How would I know that only one room was covered?

That's how we do it. Each room has it's own reservation.

Unless I worked for your hotel, I would have no way of knowing that. We are a family travelling together. When I called to cancel my reservation, of course I wanted to cancel all the rooms associated with that reservation.

I see.

(Encouraged, I continue.) I had one reservation number. I thought that all my rooms were linked under the same reservation. Obviously I am not sending my children to the hotel without me Especially since it is so exorbitantly priced.

One moment please Ma'am.

(waiting)

Ok, Ma'am I have spoken to the hotel and they are willing to waive the $75 cancellation fee. Your whole reservation will be refunded.

Excellent.  Thank you very much.

Complaint Lessons Learned:

  1. Pushing too far is not always smart but in this case it worked
  2. In retrospect, sending kids on vacation without us may not have been the worst idea
  3. Complaining is ultimately about the pursuit of justice. If something is unfair, like in this case, your chances of winning are a little higher.






No comments:

Post a Comment