Tuesday 12 November 2013

Day Twelve

N drives across border for weekend getaway.

Turns off data on phone to avoid unnecessary charges.

Returns from weekend getaway.

Turns data back on.

Three emails.

One from Phone Company saying Welcome to the US.

One from Phone Company saying Welcome Home from the US.

One from Phone Company saying you owe us $18.37 for the two e-mails you received while in the US.

N calls Phone Company.

1. My data was turned Off
2. The e-mails were from You
3. One of the e-mails was from when I crossed BACK into Canada, read it yourself

Phone Company says.

1. Thank you for calling Ma'am how may I help you today.
2. It says here you received two e-mails which used 600 MB of data so you owe us $18.37 Ma'am
3. I don't believe you that your data was turned off
4. No I can't think of any explanation as to why the only e-mails you were able to receive were from us
5. No I'm sorry there's nothing we can do about it.
6. Is there anything else I can help you with today.

N hangs up.

Calls Phone Company again.

Someone else answers the phone.

Re-explains absurdity of situation.  You sent me e-mails when my data was turned off, and then charged me for reading them a few days later when I was back in Canada with my data turned back ON.

Second Phone Company Person says.

1. Thank you for calling Ma'am how may I help you today.
2. I'm so sorry you are completely right.
3. I will cancel the charges immediately Ma'am.
4. Is there anything else I can help you with today.

Lessons Learned 
1. Phone companies are notoriously difficult to deal with and I am bringing you another example tomorrow
2. If something is ridiculously unfair you need to complain about it
3. If you aren't getting anywhere, feel free to hang up and try again. These call centres are huge and you might get lucky the second, third or fourth time
4. If you are NaBloPoMo'ing (blogging every day in November), you need a friend like N who gives the best story ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment